The conference is more than and you are now back at dwelling with a bag complete of brochures, business enterprise cards and presentations. Your very good intentions had been to hold in touch with the folks you met and to use the information and facts you gathered to create new articles.
Even so, your very good intentions have previously come to practically nothing. The information and facts became stale and and you had been no longer enthusiastic about contacting the folks. Worse but, you could not even recall who some of the folks whose cards you had had been or why you wanted to connect with them in the initial spot.
Right here are some strategies to assist you organize your new contacts and brochures and other documentation from conferences, seminars and other events:
A. At the occasion
1. Place business enterprise cards in context when you gather them– Right after a busy occasion, often it really is tough to perform out why you took the business enterprise card in the initial spot, and why it really is essential for you to make contact with the individual/owner of the card. So create a quick summary of how you met the individual and the explanation you will need to get in touch at the back of the cards throughout the exchange. This reminder will assist you organize your cards when you get dwelling and have lots of folks to make contact with.
2. Create some notes on the brochures and other paper- primarily based documents -Create down a handful of notes on the brochure explaining your story notion/ the situation you want to pursue with the corporation.
Also create down the name of the media relations individual on the brochure. If you are meeting the advertising and marketing/promotion folks at the exhibition stall, you will nonetheless have to hunt up the owner/manager/media relations individual later.
If you had been not sent by a distinct publication, create down the publications you'd like to pitch the articles to although you are nonetheless inspired and the notion is fresh in your head. Yes, it is tougher perform, specifically hen you contemplate how major some of the exhibition halls can be. But the sheer size of the occasion and the quantity of intriguing folks you meet are the extremely explanation why you will need the notes.
B. When you get dwelling
3. Straight away sort and/or capture your information -If you use an electronic database to handle your make contact with base, capture the information as quickly as you get dwelling, although it remains fresh in your thoughts. If you let it hold for extended, you might overlook to capture that information and facts, which will influence how effectively you stick to up on the self-imposed tasks.
4. Program your execution effectively – Draw up a program of the articles you program to create and allocate deadlines ( either set by the publications that assigned you the perform or self-imposed). Integrate the activities into your common planner.
Also input reminders into your calendar to make contact with the folks you met at the conference and intended to retain make contact with with.
5. Set aside time for producing make contact with with the folks– Spread your planned correspondence out so you make contact with new folks on a common basis. Exactly where probable, set aside a common day and/time to make contact with the new folks.
Friday afternoon performs very best for me, for the reason that I normally do not have writing deadlines then, and the workout is not demanding intellectually, providing the impression of a relaxed starting to a weekend. Make confident the reminder has a prompter as to who the individual is and why you will need to get in touch with him, so you do not waste useful time questioning ” what do I say to this individual?”
6. Maintain it quick – I favor e mail for the reason that it really is faster, and provides the other celebration to respond to my overtures n their personal time, or not respond at all. My e mail briefly explains who I am, exactly where and how we met and the explanation for the make contact with. If the explanation for the make contact with requires the interview, I normally wait for the other celebration to say “confident, send the queries.”
7. File your conference documentation – File your business enterprise cards and chosen conference documentations that you consider you will will need if you have the space in your dwelling/workplace to do paper-primarily based filing.
I personally favor electronic storage of conference presentations, as it enables for a lot easier investigation when I perform on articles on the similar topic weeks or months later. Electronic storage also saves me filing space in my filing cabinets.